Friday, March 05, 2010

The progress of the class

In my university, teachers still teach students in Chinese. Only few of courses are taught in English. All of them are in the department of medicine because there are international students in department of medicine. I have heard that teachers didn't do well in the English taught classes. Most of students didn't understand what teachers was trying to express even international students. Yeah, that means teachers are not good at speaking English. Therefore, the attendance rate of the courses became lower and lower because many students decided to study by themselves. However, English taught courses still went on without any hesitation.


Last week, one of my teachers, in department of medical laboratory science, told us a news that our department will accept international students after about two years, and it means all the professional courses in our department will be taught in English. If everything goes well for me, I would not take the English taught courses. Whereas, the English taught class is not only difficult to students but teachers. All of us don't have experience of this kind of classes, so Miss Huang, one of our teachers decided to try it in this semester. She held a course which will be taught in English. Actually, this course is more like PBL, problem based learning in short.

Today, in the first class of PBL course, Wanda volunteered to be the first one to introduce the first case of the course. She is good at English. She also speaks English very well, but she seems very nervous, and so do I. I am not used to speak English in front of people even though I would speak English to myself sometimes. She introduced the case fluently and brought up some questions for us to discuss. All of us used very suck English communicating, and we got stocked very often because we couldn't understand each others. Every body tried very hard. As for me, I could mostly understand the conversation, but I couldn't speak even a word. I don't think the reason why I couldn't speak is because I am too nervous to speak. I think the main reason is that I am too shy. I would not speak even the class is taught in Chinese.

Nevertheless, the class was end perfectly. All of us spoke English while we were discussing the case. None of us spoke Chinese. This course is not essential but optional. Many people dropped it because of English, but I didn't. I think it is a great chance to practice professional English. It is not easy to have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment