Thursday, November 17, 2011

Using "I'm feeling lucky" as default search engine in Firefox

Firefox is an open source web browser. According to StatCounter Global Stats, the global usage share of Firefox was 26.39% in October 2011. I think most people feel familiar about this software. For me, I am a fan of Firefox, and I have been using it as my default browser since Firefox 2. The most important advantage of Firefox is the variability. Firefox contains a lot of add-ons that improve the using experience, and many settings are variable for users.

The location bar is also a search bar. It can search for history, bookmark, even on web. However, a search box is next to the location bar. I think that the function of search bar is too similar with the location bar so I make a little change of the location bar. The default search engine of the location bar is google, and I changed it to "I'm feeling lucky", and I strongly suggest you to change.

Why should you change the search engine to "I'm feeling lucky"?

"I'm feeling lucky" is a service of google, it suggest one most possible website that you may want to visit when you search a keyword. It makes lots of convenience on searching websites. For example, if I want to visit "www.facebook.com", what I need to do is search "facebook" in the location bar, and then, it will automatically connect to facebook website. Mostly, "I'm feeling lucky" can direct us to the right website. This can save us a lot of time.

How do I change the default search engine to "I'm feeling lucky"?

1. Launch Firefox, first.

2. Type "about:config" in the location bar. Then the browser will ask your permission to change the settings. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!", of course.

3.  Then, search "keyword.url" in the filter, and double click the "keyword.url" in below.

4. After that, enter this URL, and click OK.
http://www.google.com/search?btnI&q=

5. Finally, you have the smartest location bar in Firefox.

1 comment:

  1. but if u type a website on location bar
    it will automatically remember that, won't it?!
    then next time u only have to press the triangle signal,then choose any location that u invite them usually...

    ReplyDelete