Sunday, December 01, 2019

It's not easy to have meal alone in Korea.

Eating alone in Korea isn’t easy. Most of traditional Korean food restaurants requires people to order at least two portions. The first day in Korea, my friends and a went to the famous Daegugalbi restaurant in Gyeongju. We were quite confused when we ordered the meal.
Daegugalbi
I think it made by pork mixing with Korean spicy sauce, which make it tastes spicy and salty. We ordered it slightly spicy, but it was still very hot for us. Thankfully, a cold soup was provided for us. It’s very helpful for easing the spiciness.


My friend pointed at the meal we wanted on the menu and said, “one!”
“No, two!” the owner replied firmly..
This conversation went back and forth like three times, then we realized that we had no choice but order two of that meal.
The second day, we went to another restaurant and got an English menu. On the menu, some small English words on the side of some meals said, “at least two.” Then we understood what happened in the first day. We were not allowed to order just one portion. Another BBQ restaurant in Busan, we went to, required customer ordering at least three meals a table. These restaurants aren’t friendly for person who eat alone, unless that person has a very great appetite.
Grilled pork in a BBQ restaurant
These were four portions of meat. They were definitely too many for one person, considering plenty of pickles were also served on the house, including a salad mixing with spicy sauce.
In this restaurant, waiters cooked these meat for us. That’s very thoughtful for people like us who don’t cook at all.
Besides the main dish, several side dishes or appetizers are usually served to the table. They were many kind of kimchee which is known as Korean pickles. They are usually free, so people can have as many as they want. These pickles were made from different kind of vegetables. Some of them may taste spicy, while others may have sour tastes.
Few days later, my friends left Korea, and I went to Daegu myself. I had to go to dinner on my own. The first dish popped up in my head was fired chicken. Korean fried chicken is quite famous in Taiwan. Kyochon fried chicken is recommended by many bloggers, and I found one on with google map not far from me. After I went in and read the menu, I discovered that this restaurant provided large portion only so I went out to find something else. This is when I find it not convenience to have meals alone.
To be continue…..

No comments:

Post a Comment