Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Oldest Veteran Passed Away

I accidentally read a news about an veteran, Henry Allingham, who participated in WW1 and has died aged 113. It is no doubt that he has lived for a long long time. He had been in so many historical event which includes WW1. Mr Allingham had so much experience but he seldom mentioned them to others until few years ago, he started making public appearance to share his own memories. All of them are treasure not only for people but also for the countries.

The news said that the primary minister of UK also show tributes to this great man, and called him a "tremendous character". I don't know Mr Allingham actually, but I can feel how amazing he is through this news. At the end of the news, it tell us that there are only two British survivors of WW1, and they are Harry Patch, 111, and Claude Choules, 108, now living in Australia.

After I finished this news, I start to think about how would I be if I were aged 113. Am I great as Henry Allingham? The answer is obviously unsure because no one know the future. But, is there any possibility that I can live until aged 113? I think it is possible. Thanks to the improvement of medicine, people live much more longer. When I read histories, it was very long if some one has lived for 50 years, but now, so many people died at age of eighties or nighties. Reasonable to assume, people around my aged can live more than a hundred years.

Well, it is kind of good news to people if we can live longer, but I have a different idea about this. People live longer which means they would work longer. Then it will have a problem that old people occupy the jobs so that young people cannot find one. In social welfare, it will be a burden if old people are a lot. I did say living longer is bad, but to say that it is worth for us to think about it.

link of the news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8157447.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment