Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Every Times I Meet a Patient


Although, MTs worked in the hospital, they seldom have chances to meet their patient. In fact, they won't see any patient unless there are some law issues. So, I think it is very boring to do the same things with the same people all day, and I think that the only thing can cheer MTs up is finding some new exam methods to make tests more accurate. However, there are still some good things about work in the lab, that is we don't need to deal with patients.

I was at the EKG room few weeks ago. There, I can contact to patients which makes me feel interested. I told patients what EKG is, and told them how to do this test. In the conversation, I feel that most of patients feel scared when they do any medical tests which they have never done before. Being a medical staff, our first job is to make patients feel at ease. It will be easy if I talk to "normal" person. Because most of people know what I said and do what I told them do do. However, few of patients are too old or too sick to understand what I said. It is a big problem to me. I always don't know what to do. Sometimes, I tried my best to communicate with them, but sometimes, I just did what I have to do.

I found that communicating with patients is very difficult. As a MT, I cannot tell patients the result of the test even I know. It can avoid argument with doctor when we have different diagnosis. So, if a patient ask about the result, we can only tell them we don't know. That really depress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment